Kinda homesick at the moment. Its not like I miss a particular thing or person….its having people you know care for you there. And im starting to have that with my friends and family, which is good. But I knew one of the hardest things for me would be the idea of being “alone”. Im not alone cos im always with other people. I guess its best described like this……the one person I enjoy tlaktin to the most is the other kiwi girl, not cos shes a good friend (in fact shes the opposite to the kind of person im normally with) its cos I can talk freely with her. Like if I have a problem with a teacher or my host family I can talk with her. Ive always been able to solve problems best by talking. And I can only talk with my host family to a certain extent- in my host mums limited English. I can talk to my new friends here about school problems, but this nz girl is still the best. Maybe cos we come form the same cultural background etc…..like we have the same social moral ideas etc….and shes the same with me….and I now I have people in nz I can talk to but its not the same as face to face. If I need to talk about something or tell someone something then email an phone is always good, but ive had one hug in the past 7 weeks (not counting a 2 nd a 4 yr old). And that was from the Italian exchange student. We have heasp in common and shes really cool. So that’s good.
I think one of the best things ill learn from this exchange is how to cope when im on my own. But still know ive got people that look out for me

2 Comments:
umm...6th line down its talking not "tlakin" and 3rd from the bottom is heaps :)
It's always difficult being in a foreign country. From personal experience you'll find ways to cope and adjust.
Being alone with your thoughts isn't such a bad thing, just don't get too lost. The blog will certainly help. Don't worry about whether any reads it, nor exactly who, just use it to release thoughts and ideas (look at the first month of mine - I didn't talk substantially to anyone in English for that time).
As for being stuck with the use of a foregin language - revel in it. Trying to convey a thought in a foreign language is bloody hard, and if you can find ways to do so (even if it's using only the simplest words you've got) you'll feel all the more better for it.
Take the chance you've got and use. Here's two quotes for you:
"Opporunity is usually disguised by hard work, so most people don't recognise it" and
"Das Leiben ist kein Wurstkonzert" (which means "This life isn't a Wish Concert" - translates to: You're going to have to slug it through some things).
Post a Comment
<< Home